There are many factors to consider when choosing a podiatrist or any other type of doctors. Here are some important ones:
- Is your doctor board certified in foot surgery? Podiatry is a surgical profession. If there is an abscess or infection in the foot, a displaced and broken bone, or a painful deformity, you want your podiatrist to be able to address it surgically if needed, rather than have to wait or look for someone else, which can cost valuable time. The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery is the certifying board, recognized by the American Podiatric Medical Association, that has the highest standards for foot surgery. Dr. Hoy is Board Certified by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery.
- Is your doctor board certified in non-surgical care? Podiatry is not just a surgical profession. There are many conditions that are not treated with surgery. You may need imaging studies, lab studies, medication, orthotics or physical therapy. The board recognized by the American Podiatric Medical Association to certify these skills is the American Board of Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Hoy is also Board Certified by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine.
- Is your doctor certified in practice management? There are regulations and standards of running a good medical practice, in addition to providing good medical care. Having a doctor certified in such areas as ethics, billing and collections compliance makes for a smoother, more pleasant and up-to-date office care experience. Dr. Hoy is a Certified Medical Manager by the Professional Association of Health Care Office Management. Dr. Hoy is also a Certified Healthcare Billing Specialist and a Certified Healthcare Collections Manager. The two certifications were granted by the American Institute of Healthcare Compliance.
- Is your doctor in academics? Doctors who teach keep up with the latest advancements in the field. Since 2005 Dr. Hoy has been a Teaching Associate with the University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Family Medicine. He teaches Family Medicine residents from the Swedish Cherry Hill Family Medicine Residency who come to the office to learn about medicine and surgery of the foot and ankle. He has also mentored students who are interested in a career in medicine.
- What do others say about your doctor? Many patients, staff and medical professionals have given reviews and commendations about Dr. Hoy’s services. Our office is also an Accredited Business with A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
We hope that these suggestions are helpful in assisting you to choose a foot and ankle care professional. Thank you.